When working at great heights, you often need to take a bunch of safety precautions in case you fall. Other than the basic safety gears like helmets, boots, or goggles; you would also need self-retracting lifelines that will stop you from falling.
A self-retracting lifeline is only one part of a whole safety system. The casing carries a rope often made from steel or polyester which is perfect to absorb the impact. This attaches to your safety vest to be able to hold you back when necessary.
Today, we will be looking at some of the best self-retracting lifelines on the market. The in-depth reviews should help you pick out the one that’s right for you.
- 1 Best Self Retracting Lifeline Reviews
- 2 1. 3M DBI-SALA PROTECTA Rebel Single-Leg Self-Retracting Lifeline
- 3 2. Malta Dynamics Razorback Heavy-Duty Cable Self Retracting Lifeline
- 4 3. PROTECTA Rebel Single-Leg Self-Retracting Polyester Web Lifeline
- 5 4. Peakworks Fall Protection Safety Lifeline, Self Retracting (SRL) Cable
- 6 5. Malta Dynamics Dual 11′ Pygmy Hog Web Self-Retracting Lifeline
- 7 Final Thoughts
Best Self Retracting Lifeline Reviews
When it comes to safety devices, the main focus should be durability and reliability. With that in mind, let’s look at our top two picks.
1. 3M DBI-SALA PROTECTA Rebel Single-Leg Self-Retracting Lifeline
Used by the professionals as their go-to retracting lifeline, the Protecta Rebel by 3M is quite popular. Not only is it highly reliable but it also comes at an affordable price point.
Coming in a wide variety of lengths ranging from 6 to 100 feet, all you need to do is place your faith on 3M and climb. The polyester web lifeline demonstrates excellent strength and is also very lightweight.
The synthetic construction and retractable design allow you to move freely when working with reduced drag or the possibility to trip falls.
This can prove to be quite useful when you need to focus on the task at hand rather than being distracted by a dangling lifeline.
What’s more, 3M has included a quick activating speed sensing brake system. Basically, this system is designed to sense whether you’re falling or not based on the speed. Once it detects that you are falling, it will initiate a braking system that stops the fall within the first few inches.
When safety is the top priority, you need to invest in lifelines that are durable. The Rebel has a user capacity of 310 pounds with a robust design that ensures longevity. Keeping all your needs in mind, 3M has built this lifeline to maximize space, provide high strength and allow you to maneuver easily.
Furthermore, carrying this self retractable lifeline is also quite easy. This is because 3M has always taken into account the thoughts of the users first.
Therefore, the Protecta Rebel comes with a space-saving design that makes it portable. Also, the synthetic material used for the lifeline has a lighter weight than most competitors which aids portability.
- Lightweight and portable design
- Maximum user capacity of 310 pounds
- Quick activating brake system catches you within inches
- Polyester web lifeline is highly durable
- We did not find any cons for this product
2. Malta Dynamics Razorback Heavy-Duty Cable Self Retracting Lifeline
With certifications from OSHA and ANSI, this self retractable lifeline from Malta Dynamics is guaranteed to last you for the long haul. Placing special emphasis on performance and safety, the unit has been designed to absorb shock and cancel cable backlash.
The casing is also made from high-quality materials that ensure longevity. For starters, the compact design is a blessing for those of you who need to carry a bunch of gears.
Not only is it portable but also lightweight, making it easy to carry for long periods of time. Transporting the device or storing it is a breeze due to its space-saving design.
Moving on, the manufacturers have placed a quick action braking system that is designed to grab you as quickly as possible. On the off chance that you slip and fall, the cable starts to extend, and the system is quickly activated to catch you.
Given the strength of the cable and the quality build of the device, safety is almost guaranteed.
The cable is one of the main components of a self-retracting lifeline. The stronger the cable the safer you are. Malta Dynamics have used a strong galvanized steel cable that can hold up to 130-310 pounds easily.
Also, the high-strength cable is housed in aluminum that adds to its strength and longevity. The aluminum is strong and lightweight which enhances the portability features of the device as well.
- Quick-action braking system ensures fast pullback
- Galvanized steel cable for high weight capacity
- Non-corrosive design aids longevity
- Compact design enhances portability
- Steel cable makes it heavier than polyester models
3. PROTECTA Rebel Single-Leg Self-Retracting Polyester Web Lifeline
4. Peakworks Fall Protection Safety Lifeline, Self Retracting (SRL) Cable
5. Malta Dynamics Dual 11′ Pygmy Hog Web Self-Retracting Lifeline
When deciding on the best self-retracting lifeline, you have to put a keen emphasis on the braking system and reliability. As you will be using these devices to work at great heights, you are essentially placing your life in their hands.
Both the products listed above are standouts in the market as per our research. The 3M Protecta is used by professionals in their day-to-day tasks but that does not mean the lifeline from Malta Dynamics is inferior. They are both well-known for their smooth operation and reliability.
We hope this review has helped you choose the right retractable lifeline for your safety needs.